Tuesday, September 27, 2011

The Strange Thing in My Pocket by Lainey Lou-Lou

One morning I decided to walk along the vast, white water creek that ran through my backyard. I bent down to pick up a bright orange daisy with a dab of yellow and purple in the center of the flower, to put in my long wet hair. I thought it would match my white flowing shirt with a swim-suit top and purple shorts. As I stood up, something fell out of my back pocket. I noticed it falling, turning and flowing as the wind carried it away and dropped it next to a weeping willow tree. Flipping it over to read the fine print, I saw that it was a plane ticket that would take me anywhere I wanted. I rushed back to my house. I was filled with anticipation with the ticket in my presence. I did not know how I had gotten it, but there was no time to sit and ponder how it was put it my pocket—I had to figure out where it was that I wanted to go. So I sat and dreamt about all the places I could see. Finally, I picked a place. I would go to Tahiti. Tahiti is a remote island in the Pacific Ocean between North America and Japan. It is known as “The Queen of the Pacific.” When I arrived at my destination, I walked along the shore collecting sea shells, star fish, sand dollars and other fascinating creatures. I walked on a very rocky platform that had been carved from the explosion of the waves as they collided with the rock. The water burst to the sky and gently fell back to earth. I felt the mist and drops of salty ocean falling on my skin. I loved lying there on the beach and feeling the water reach and engulf me where the sand surrounded me and then roll away as the ocean rose up and sucked the sand back with it. After watching the brilliant orange sunset over the never-ending ocean cast a reflection of light that lit up my eyes, I rushed back to my hotel excited to spend more time in the water with the sea life the next day. The following day, as I sat on the beach and watched the calm rolling sea, I noticed the color of the depth. In shallow water it was a light blue, but almost clear. In the deeper parts, it was a royal blue color. While I was walking along the shore, I found a conch with a check for a million dollars. “Now, I can spend the rest of my life here,” I thought to myself. As I started walking back to my hotel, I noticed a familiar looking face. Then all of the sudden it hit me. The man who was the life guard at the beach was a strange man who lived down the street from me. “I saw him at the creek after I had discovered the plane ticket and now I see him here!” I said to myself. “I need to get out of here.” Then I put the conch back on the beach and walked away watching the conch with the money inside being swept away with the waves.

No comments:

Post a Comment